Wouldn’t it be nice if MORE of our potential clients responded to our emails?
Perhaps they would IF they actually read the email in the first place!
According to data released by both Constant Contact and MailChimp, the average open rate is only about 79%.
I have a theory as to WHY . . .
I received an email that immediately grabbed my attention and then lost me;
Just as fast!
The email had a a subject line that was simply “Paul – Question for you” but;
The preview text (the text that gives us the first few characters of the email without us opening the email) revealed that it was in fact a pitch.
Nothing wrong with a pitch but I was quickly able to see that it WASN’T something I wanted to pursue;
BEFORE I even opened the email!
I’m willing to bet that the same thing happens to you all the time because;
Nobody ever taught you to think about the preview text!
Here’s an example of how I leverage the power of the preview text.
Notice how the first sentence cuts off at just the right time?
Notice how I didn’t immediately go into a sales pitch that;
Would have been revealed WITHOUT opening my email?
The brain LOVES a good mystery and has a need to resolve things. That’s why you use the preview text to entice the reader, not disqualify yourself!
And that’s yet another reason why you should NEVER lead with something about you and your company!
Always lead with something about the recipient, their company, their competitors, their clients, their industry, their world.
How Many Characters Comprise The Preview Text?
It really depends on which email platform the recipient is using, if they’re viewing it on desktop or mobile device etc.
It can be anywhere from 35-140 characters.
My suggestion would be to plan for 140 characters so you’re covered across all bases.
This one, small adjustment, will lead to MORE decision makers actually reading your email.
We’re going to be talking more about this (and a total of 70 email tactics) during our 70 Ways To ROCK Your Cold Emails webinar on December 20th, at 11:30 am EST!
I’ll also share 50 cold email templates and;
- 30 ways to find potential clients who are 400% more likely to buy NOW!
- 4 ways to get email addresses WITHOUT spending a dime on email lists.
- 50 different types of emails that I’m personally using to get results for my business. Oh, and I’m also going to send you the templates so you can begin using them immediately!
- 12 subject line mistakes that you need to avoid. Keep making them and you’re hosed!
- 12 BETTER subject lines that get your email read.
- 12 ways to head off skepticism, doubt and objections.
- One EPIC mistake, just about every sales rep makes, in the first 3 sentences of an email.
- A really simple, 4 step messaging framework that gets results.
- 2 Psychological techniques that work like a charm!
- How to dramatically increase your response rate
December 20th at 11:30 am EST. Happy to send the webinar replay and all the resources listed below to all who can’t join us live.
Here’s What You Get . . .
(1) 90 minute training session
Replay Of The Webinar (In case you can’t join us live (or even dead) or you’d like to review the training again)
50 Email Templates
Click HERE to reserve your spot!
“Paul’s advice and suggestions made an immediate impact on both my confidence and my business success. He’s armed me with so many tips and suggestions; I still haven’t been able to pursue them all!”
George Henderson, AccessIT Group, Inc.
“I took Paul’s email course and the value is unsurpassed. Well worth the investment.”
Jim Lesko, President, Lesko Industries Inc