According to a report from Leap Job, only about 2% of all the calls you’re making result in an appointment.
So most people read about a report like that and they automatically put another nail in the cold call’s coffin.
Instead, why don’t we explore WHY 98% of your cold calls are basically useless!
1) Because many people just aren’t picking up their phone anymore. So what do most sales reps do? They figure that means they just need to make MORE calls. Instead, I would suggest that you have . . .
– A plan to use other forms of outreach, working together in support of your phone efforts.
– A warm referral.
– A plan to partner with, instead of trying to plow through that person you refer to as “the gatekeeper.
– A Plan to increase the probability of someone picking up their phone.
2) You didn’t research properly. There are many reps that are so busy “smiling and dialing” that they miss valuable clues (that can be found with a simple click of the mouse and a few short minutes of research).
This leads to;
– A really bad, typical and “me too” opening statement when you actually DO get someone on the phone.
– Leads you to say stupid sh*t like “What is it that you do?”
– Limits your ability to ask cool questions that could have engaged the other person.
3) Your opening statement sucked!
– It was about YOU and not them.
– It demonstrated that you did zero research.
– It was full of “me too” cliched phrases like “we’re a full service” “one source” “end to end” “comprehensive”.
– It was void of EVIDENCE like facts, statistics, studies etc.
– There wasn’t a compelling reason to grant you the appointment.
-It sounded robotic and scripted.
4) Your questions were non existent or they were LAME!
– Good questions create a dialogue instead of a Sales Pitch.
– Great questions lead the other person on the end of the phone on a path of self discovery.
– Great questions emotionally turbo charge someone enough to take action, NOW!
– Great questions create rapport and credibility.
5) You Didn’t Know How To Overcome Typical Objections
– You didn’t have a good response to typical objections. Meanwhile, shame on you for thinking you’d just “wing it”.
– You didn’t practice your responses so they ended up sounding awkward and “scripted”.
– You may have answered an objection like a pro but then failed to redirect the conversation back to an appointment.
I’m going to stop at 5 reasons because I believe its time for the point.
Perhaps the REAL challenge ISN’T that 98% of our Cold Calls are ineffective;
That type of thinking puts the blame on the cold call.
Perhaps its more accurate to say that;
98% of HOW We’re Approaching This Form Of Outreach Is Ineffective?
Stop blaming the venue and start working on the part YOU absolutely CAN control.
Perhaps YOUR Phone Skills Need A Little Love?
Join us this Friday, December 1st, for our Cold Calls That ROCK webinar!
Here’s what I’m going to share . . .
- How to research a potential client WITHOUT becoming a full time research analyst.
- 2 ways to get WARM Introductions.
- 5 Email Templates That WARM up a cold call.
- How to craft an objection resistant dialogue that gets their attention in the first 10 seconds.
- How to proactively prevent skepticism, doubt, resistance and, I might as well say it; OBJECTIONS!
- How to respond to typical objections like “Not interested/No need” “Have a supplier/Under contract” “Too busy”.
- How to respond to typical stalls, like “Call me back next month, next year, after the holidays, next millennium etc” “Send me your information” etc.
- A 3 step formula to help you regain control of your calls.
- 4 ways to beat nervousness and call reluctance.
December 1st at 11:30 am EST and don’t worry if you can’t make it that day. Sign up anyway and I’ll send you the webinar replay and all the goodies listed below!
Here’s what you’ll get;
(1) 90 minute webinar
Webinar Replay (In case you can’t make it or you’d just like to go back for more)
5 Email Templates
So if you’d like to bring your phone skills up a notch or three, click HERE to secure your spot!