Do you remember that movie about Facebook called “The Social Network”?
There was this scene depicting the early days of Facebook, where Mark Zuckerberg and Eduardo Saverin explain to Sean Parker, how they were getting so many people to sign up for Facebook.
They would get universities on board within a geographical area and then reference those universities while targeting other universities in the same area.
They basically surrounded their target universities first and then went in for the kill.
Sam Parker replied “It’s called the ‘Little Bighorn’. That’s smart Mark”.
Sir Richard Branson tells a story of how they used a similar approach during one of his first ventures, Student Magazine. When they would sign Coke, they’d immediately get on the phone to let Pepsi know.
People use this on me all the time by referencing other thought leaders who have agreed to do a webinar, write for their publication, etc.
There are two parts of the “Little Bighorn” tactic that make it really effective;
- Peer Pressure and Competitiveness
- Fear of Missing Out (FOMO)
Let’s take a look at how you might use this in sales.
Penetrating A Vertical
Once you sell one account in a vertical, go for the next one and reference the first.
Once you get a major account in that vertical, target other major accounts.
Note: We’re obviously aren’t giving away sensitive information here.
Fishing For Whales
Once you land one “whale account” go after another and reference the first one.
Penetrating An Existing Account
Once you get one division, one location, one product manager;
Approach the next one referencing how other divisions, locations, product managers are on board.
Don’t ever underestimate the competitive nature of a C-level contact and their need to;
Keep up with the proverbial “Joneses”
Stay informed and up to date and;
Their fear of missing out.
I devised an email template (called “The Little Bighorn”) to help you. I’ll be sharing during our 50 Ways To ROCK Your Cold Calls, Emails, and Sales Messaging webinar. Details HeRe.
Would You Like My Phone, Email and Messaging Templates?
Then join us for our 50 Ways To ROCK Your Cold Calls, Emails, and Sales Messaging webinar on April 19th, at 11:30 am EST!
Here’s what I’m going to share;
- A 4 Step Messaging Framework That Works With Emails, Cold Calls, Snail Mail, LinkedIn, Etc
- How To Capture Your Dream Client’s Attention In The First Sentence Of Your Emails, Cold Calls and Voicemails
- My 5 BEST Sales Email Templates
- How To Create A Really Effective Phone Script WITHOUT Sounding Scripted. I’m Also Going To Send You The Template.
- How To Use “Potato Chips” In Your Messaging To Make The Recipient Hungry For More
- 12 Tactics That Reduce Doubt, Skepticism, and Objections
- How To Create A Very Different “Call To Action” In Your Emails, Cold Calls and Sales Messaging.
- 4 Voicemails (With Templates) That Will Help You Stand Out
- How To Create A Prospecting Cadence That Mixes Phone, Email, LinkedIn, Snail Mail, Etc.
April 19th at 11:30 am EST
What Do You Get?
(1) 90 Minute Webinar
Webinar Replay In Case You Can’t Join Us Live or You’d Like To Review Again
5 Email Templates
1 Phone Template
4 Voicemail Templates
Please click HERE to reserve your spot and/or to receive the webinar replay if you can’t join us live.