Leave it to a New Yorker to sound like a real unsociable prick but I pretty much never ask “How are you?” when I prospect.
You probably think it’s because it’s typically a red flag that you’re trying to sell them something, right?
That’s partially why but there are two bigger reasons;
First, I want to break the typical pattern where reps follow a set “cold calling protocol”.
In doing that, I throw the recipient off guard and avoid the stimulus/response that many of you face.
It’s a bit of a pattern interrupt.
The second (and main reason) why I don’t ask is because it wastes valuable seconds that I could be using to demonstrate that the call is relevant.
And yes, I believe asking someone “How are you?” demonstrates good manners but for the last few years, I’ve replaced it with;
I noticed that ___________
The “I noticed that _______” phrase allows me to come right out of the gate and grab the recipient’s attention.
Because I fill in the blank with something I noticed about their company, industry, competitor(s), challenges, opportunities, etc.
That’s the stuff they actually give a sh*t about and if I only have a few seconds to grab their attention;
Being relevant is going to keep me from taking a bullet more effectively than wasting those seconds on asking how someone is doing.
A typical cold call usually starts with “How are you?” followed by possibly some chit chat, and then cutting to the chase with a statement about what their widget does;
I lead with something that will IMMEDIATELY get their attention (and lower their guard) within the first few seconds.
Give it a try and better yet;
Give it a try and tape your end of the conversation so you can view the “game tape” later!
Would You Like My Opening Statement Template?
My Opening Statement template is one of 20 that I share in our Prospect Like A Pro download.
Here’s what we’ll cover;
- 30 ways to find potential clients who have a higher probability of needing what you sell TODAY.
- How to research quickly and efficiently so it doesn’t become your life’s work.
- 33 ways to approach a potential client.
- 3 ways to dramatically increase the probability of someone taking your call instead of letting it go to voicemail.
- Creating a prospecting cadence that maximizes exposure, while limiting something experts refer to as “Becoming a pain in the ass”.
- 15 email templates that get opened, read and responded to.
- How to embrace a “gatekeeper” as a partner vs some cranky keeper of the gate!
- How to craft an objection resistant dialogue that gets their attention from “Hello”. I’m also going to send you a template you can IMMEDIATELY apply.
- 12 ways to proactively prevent skepticism, doubt, resistance and I might as well say it, OBJECTIONS!
- A 3 step formula for responding to 95% of the objections you get on a regular basis.
- 3 really cool tactics to use when someone asks you to send them information.
- 4 types of voice mails that will capture the recipient’s attention. I’m also going to send you the templates.
So what do you get?
(2) 90 minute pre-recorded sessions with worksheets.
15 sales email templates
1 cold calling template
4 voicemail template
Email access to me to answer any course related questions
Whenever you’d like. I’ll send you everything within 24 hours and the rest is up to you.
Go At Your Own Pace
Since this is a download, there aren’t any set times you need to show up for class. View it at your leisure and go at your own pace. I won’t tell anyone!
“Every session during this course I took away something that I was able to apply that SAME day. I took the tips and started getting through, or using gatekeepers to my advantage, got my voicemails returned and while using the reverse call to action, actually had customers apologizing to ME for missing MY call.
By the end of every week, I’d have the recording to go back and listen to again, or at a convenient time for me, so it was easy to keep up week to week.
Lastly, you feel like you are the only one of Paul’s students. He does a perfect job of welcoming your questions, encourages you to send him things that you are working on and will give you feedback, and is such a cheerleader for his students. We all know that sales people have a high need for approval, and you WILL get it from Paul. As well as a kick in the you-know-what when necessary.
If you e-mail Paul that you tried something new, you will get an e-mail back saying Great job and that’s something we all need to keep on going and to try even harder.
Invest in YOU, and you will quickly see the monetary return.”
What’s The Investment?
Click HERE to download it NOW!
Please email me if you’d like to discuss customizing this program for your sales team email@example.com