Leave it to a New Yorker to sound like a real unsociable prick but I pretty much never ask “How are you?” when I prospect.
You probably think it’s because it’s typically a red flag that you’re trying to sell them something, right?
That’s partially why but there are two bigger reasons;
First, I want to break the typical pattern where reps follow a set “cold calling protocol”.
In doing that, I throw the recipient off guard and avoid the stimulus/response that many of you face.
It’s a bit of a pattern interrupt.
The second (and main reason) why I don’t ask is because it wastes valuable seconds that I could be using to demonstrate that the call is relevant.
And yes, I believe asking someone “How are you?” demonstrates good manners but for the last few years, I’ve replaced it with;
I noticed that ___________
The “I noticed that _______” phrase allows me to come right out of the gate and grab the recipient’s attention.
Because I fill in the blank with something I noticed about their company, industry, competitor(s), challenges, opportunities, etc.
That’s the stuff they actually give a sh*t about and if I only have a few seconds to grab their attention;
Being relevant is going to keep me from taking a bullet more effectively than wasting those seconds on asking how someone is doing.
A typical cold call usually starts with “How are you?” followed by possibly some chit chat, and then cutting to the chase with a statement about what their widget does;
I lead with something that will IMMEDIATELY get their attention (and lower their guard) within the first few seconds.
Give it a try and better yet;
Give it a try and tape your end of the conversation so you can view the “game tape” later!
Would You Like My Opening Statement Template?
My Opening Statement template is one of 20 that I share in our Virtual Sales Camp program.
Have you signed up yet?
Better hurry because it’s only available until July 19th!
It’s all prerecorded so you can go at your own pace.
Here’s what we’ll cover;
- 30 ways to find potential clients who have a higher probability of needing what you sell TODAY.
- How to research quickly and efficiently so it doesn’t become your life’s work.
- 33 ways to approach a potential client.
- 3 ways to dramatically increase the probability of someone taking your call instead of letting it go to voicemail.
- Creating a prospecting cadence that maximizes exposure, while limiting something experts refer to as “Becoming a pain in the ass”.
- 15 email templates that get opened, read and responded to.
- How to embrace a “gatekeeper” as a partner vs some cranky keeper of the gate!
- How to craft an objection resistant dialogue that gets their attention from “Hello”. I’m also going to send you a template you can IMMEDIATELY apply.
- 12 ways to proactively prevent skepticism, doubt, resistance and I might as well say it, OBJECTIONS!
- A 3 step formula for responding to 95% of the objections you get on a regular basis.
- 3 really cool tactics to use when someone asks you to send them information.
- 4 types of voice mails that will capture the recipient’s attention. I’m also going to send you the templates.
- The one question you MUST ask the minute you set the appointment.
- The Pre Appointment Packet you need to get into your prospect’s hands BEFORE your meeting.
- A template that will help you take immediate control of your next prospect meeting (without having you come across as pushy or manipulative).
- 12 tactics that safeguard your deal from obstacles, stalls and objections.
- 5 Types of questions (with examples) that jumpstart your prospect’s emotions while forging your credibility.
- How to disqualify competitors WITHOUT badmouthing them.
- The one question you MUST ask BEFORE presenting your solutions.
- 3 things to include in your proposals that your competitors WON’T!
- How to keep the discussion from going prematurely to price.
- 12 ways to REDUCE doubt, skepticism and objections while keeping your deal moving forward.
- How to keep the attention of ALL of the stakeholders, better yet, how to keep them actively involved in the meeting!
- How to ask for the business WITHOUT getting all “salesy”.
- How to negotiate like a pro!
- A communication plan that addresses THE most dangerous time with your prospects . . . The time between meetings!
FREE Bonus Session: 25 Ways To ROCK Your Sales This Summer
- 3 ways to create URGENCY with your prospects and clients
- 10 email tactics that will help you capture your prospect’s attention (and get more responses)
- 2 “Summer Specific Attention Getters”
- 2 ways to triple your referrals
- 3 ways to generate more business with your existing clients
- 3 ways to handle “Call me back after Labor Day”
- A ridiculously simple summer communication plan you can implement the moment I teach it to you
- How to leverage the summer instead of dreading it
- How to outwork your competitors this summer (and still enjoy the heck out of yours)
So what do you get?
(4) 90 minute pre-recorded sessions with worksheets.
15 sales email templates
1 cold calling template
4 voicemail template
PDF with 100 sales questions
Castain’s Agenda Statement template
Whenever you’d like. I’ll send you everything within 24 hours and the rest is up to you.
Registration ends July 19th!
Please click HERE to get started!