I don’t care how nice you are or how professional you are, sooner or later someone is going to hang up on you when you call to do business with them.
What’s an aspiring sales rock star to do?
First, let’s talk about what you shouldn’t do.
Call back and do the old “I’m sorry but we were disconnected” thing.
I’ll get to why in a moment.
Next, don’t expend a whole heck of a lot of your creative energy trying to figure out a better way to win them over nor should you spend the next 3 hours talking to your co workers about this. Why . . .
Because now you’ve just trashed the productivity of an entire department. Congrats 🙂
Time Out . . .
There’s nothing wrong with changing up your approach if you feel it would get a better result, but in the time you spend trying to convert an A-Hole, you could speak to someone who has manners.
Beware of your inner “Oh no you didn’t” voice that makes you get real competitive to the point that you now obsess over . . .
More about my famous A-Hole theory in a moment.
So what should you do?
1) Take a look in the mirror. Did you prompt this behavior somehow? Not that there’s any excuse for someone doing that but, how was your messaging and sorry for this but . . . Do people typically hang up on you? If so, it might not be them. I know . . . Ouch but somebody needed to tell you this.
2) Try not to take it personally (provided it wasn’t your fault which I’m sure it wasn’t) People have bad days and some, unfortunately have miserable lives. It doesn’t justify the behavior, but it helps if we can somehow understand that we never really know what someone else is going through. For example, I once worked with a guy who did quite a bit of silent farting in other people’s cubicles and in the car. I hated him for it until I found out that he suffered from SFS (Silent Farting Syndrome) See, we never really know!
3) Consider sending them a card thanking them for taking the time to speak with you the other day and let them know that you will keep in touch every now and again. Don’t mention the fact that they were an A-Hole to you. Sometimes, we can win people over with kindness.
4) Get Up And Walk Away For a Few. Go for a walk, throw some cold water on your face, say a quick prayer that the good lord will give them explosive diarrhea and then get back on your horse and . . .
5) Call someone worthy of your attention knowing that
You might actually have been given a wonderful gift which brings us to . . .
Paul’s Theory Of Aholetivity
An A-Hole in motion stays in motion meaning . . .
If they’re an A-Hole now, pre courtship . . . They’re probably going to be an A-Hole during the marriage!
Congratulate yourself in seeing their true colors and sparing yourself a messy divorce someday. In other words . . .
Want To Get Better At Prospecting?
Download our Prospect Like A Pro Program!
During this download you will discover;
30 ways to find potential clients who have a higher probability of needing what you sell TODAY.
How to research quickly and efficiently so it doesn’t become your life’s work.
33 ways to approach a potential client.
3 ways to dramatically increase the probability of someone taking your call instead of letting it go to voicemail.
Creating a prospecting cadence that maximizes exposure, while limiting something experts refer to as “Becoming a pain in the ass”.
15 email templates that get opened, read and responded to.
How to embrace a “gatekeeper” as a partner vs some cranky keeper of the gate!
How to craft an objection resistant dialogue that gets their attention from “Hello”. I’m also going to send you a template you can IMMEDIATELY apply.
12 ways to proactively prevent skepticism, doubt, resistance and I might as well say it, OBJECTIONS!
A 3 step formula for responding to 95% of the objections you get on a regular basis.
3 really cool tactics to use when someone asks you to send them information.
4 types of voice mails that will capture the recipient’s attention. I’m also going to send you the templates.
Here’s What You’ll Get . . .
(2) 90 minute sessions with over 75 ideas to dramatically improve your prospecting efforts!
(2) Sets of worksheets (one for each session)
15 email templates
1 opening statement template
4 voicemail templates
Email access to me to answer any course related questions
Go At Your Own Pace
Since this is a download, there aren’t any set times you need to show up for class. View it at your leisure and go at your own pace. I won’t tell anyone!
What’s The Investment?