Do you remember that movie about Facebook called “The Social Network”?
There was this scene depicting the early days of Facebook, where Mark Zuckerberg and Eduardo Saverin explain to Sean Parker, how they were getting so many people to sign up for Facebook.
They would get universities on board within a geographical area and then reference those universities while targeting other universities in the same area.
They basically surrounded their target universities first with smaller colleges and then made their approach.
Sam Parker replied “It’s called the ‘Little Bighorn’. That’s smart Mark”.
Sir Richard Branson tells a story of how they used a similar approach during one of his first ventures, Student Magazine. When they would sign Coke, they’d immediately get on the phone to let Pepsi know.
People use this on me all the time by referencing other thought leaders who have agreed to do a webinar, write for their publication, etc.
There are two parts of the “Little Bighorn” tactic that make it really effective;
- Peer Pressure and Competitiveness
- Fear of Missing Out (FOMO). This is quite powerful right now with decision makers curious as to how their peers are navigating the pandemic.
Let’s take a look at how you might use this in sales.
Penetrating A Vertical
Once you sell one account in a vertical, go for the next one and reference the first.
Once you get a major account in that vertical, target other major accounts.
Note: We’re obviously aren’t giving away sensitive information here.
Fishing For Whales
Once you land one “whale account” go after another and reference the first one.
Penetrating An Existing Account
Once you get one division, one location, one product manager;
Approach the next one referencing how other divisions, locations, product managers are on board.
Don’t ever underestimate the competitive nature of a C-level contact and their need to;
Keep up with the proverbial “Joneses”
Stay informed and up to date and;
Their fear of missing out.
I devised an email template (called “The Little Bighorn”) to help you. I’ll be sharing during our 50 Ways To ROCK Your Cold Calls, Emails, and Sales Messaging webinar on August 27th.
Here’s what I’m going to share;
- How To Automate Your Pre Call Planning Research WITHOUT Clogging Your Inbox With Google Alerts.
- A 4 Step Messaging Framework That Works With Emails, Cold Calls, Snail Mail, LinkedIn, Etc.
- How To Capture Your Dream Client’s Attention In The First Sentence Of Your Emails, Calls, and Snail Mail.
- The 3 Email Templates That Consistently Generate Appointments.
- 10 Subject Lines That Intrigue The Reader and Increase Your Open Rate.
- How To Create A BETTER Phone Script WITHOUT Sounding Scripted. I’m Also Going To Send You The Template.
- How To Use “Potato Chips” In Your Messaging To Make The Recipient Hungry For More. Alright, stop pressuring me, I’ll give you a template for this!
- The 2 Types Of “Pattern Interrupts” You Absolutely MUST Use! Oh look what I found, a template to help you ROCK this tactic!
- How To Use “The Little Bighorn” Tactic To Generate New Opportunities. I’ll Even Throw In An Easy To Use Template. Don’t pretend like you didn’t know I was going to give you the template. We’re both adults here!
- 1 Simple Tactic That Creates “Internal Chatter” With Your Target Companies.
- 12 Ways To Convey A More Credible Message.
- 3 Things You Can Do On LinkedIn To IMMEDIATELY Stand Out With Decision Makers. I’ll Even Throw In 10 Of The Email Templates I’m Using On LinkedIn.
- How To Create A Very Different “Call To Action” Across Multiple Forms Of Messaging.
- 4 Voicemails (With Templates) That Will Help You Stand Out.
- How To Create A Prospecting Cadence That Mixes Multiple Forms Of Outreach.
When? What’s Included? How Much?
August 27th from 11:30 am – 12:30 pm EST and if you can’t join us live, sign up anyway because I’ll be sending the replay as well as all the cool extras listed below.
You’ll Also Get These Extras;
(1) 90 Minute Training Session With 50 Actionable Tips
(1) Cold Call Template
(4) Voicemail Templates
(10) LinkedIn Templates
(30) Email Templates (No, that’s not a typo. You’re getting my file with 30 email templates. You’re welcome).
PDF With My 10 Best Subject Lines
A Secret Resource Link With Bonus PDFs and Reinforcement Content
Email Access To Help You Wih Any Webinar Related Questions
I know, I should have given you more time to sell off a kidney and host a GoFundMe so you can raise that sort of cash but, anyway;