If you’re familiar with the “Acres Of Diamond”story, you know that there was this guy, who had to sell his farm, to pay off the debt he incurred while trying to find diamonds at various locations.
The sad part is that the person who bought the property discovered one of the largest diamond mines;
Right on the very property the other guy owned for years and years!
He had been sitting on a fortune and never knew it!
Sales has a tragic way of imitating this story, except its a bit of a double edged sword.
You obviously lose if you aren’t continually mining your existing accounts and;
They lose too because they never have the opportunity to embrace solutions from you that;
Might be better
Easier to Use
Backed by a better guarantee, warranty, better insurance.
Backed by a better team and;
Supported by someone who makes the entire experience worthwhile;
The problem is that many sales reps, embrace account development from two really bad extremes.
- Being way to bashful about educating their client. This can be anything from feeling uncomfortable about bringing up additional products and services to lacking the guts to ask the difficult questions and having the difficult conversations.
- Positioning yourself as a pest!
This is why you absolutely MUST have a premeditated communication plan for your accounts.
You need to stay in touch WITHOUT calling to “check in”
You need to continually educate your client WITHOUT giving them a vibe that you’re always trying to sell them.
You need to find different ways of educating them because quite frankly, some of the ways you’re embracing might not be resonating with them!
You need to utilize repetition throughout your communication process. Why? Because your client has the same sh*tty attention as the rest of the human race. Said another way;
YOUR CLIENT ISN’T SITTING AT THEIR DESK THINKING ABOUT WHAT ELSE THEY SHOULD BE BUYING FROM YOU!
My advice would be to schedule time regularly (after hours) to simply think about each of your clients.
It’s important to do this when there are no phones ringing or bosses interrupting you looking for those “TPS Reports”
Begin your “thinking time” session with a simple fill in the blank question that you can tweak as needed.
In what ways can I __________
You could ask yourself “In what ways can I grow the business at ABC Widgets?”
“In what ways can I show ABC Widgets the value in our X-1000 line?”
“In what ways can I educate ABC Widgets on our other products and services?”
“In what ways can I reduce risk, reduce hesitation etc in utilizing us for additional services?”
We could go on and on but I’m sure you get the idea.
Here’s another idea . . .
On February 22nd at 11:30 am EST, we’re hosting our How To GROW Your Existing Business webinar.
We’re going to discuss;
- How To Get The Inside Track On New Opportunities.
- How To Sell Change.
- A 3 Step Questioning Technique That Helps Safeguard Your Accounts, Generate MORE Business, Testimonials and Referrals.
- How To Get Access To Other Stakeholders Without Offending Your Contact.
- How To Expand To Other Divisions, Locations Etc.
- How To Add Value Via Ideas, Surprises and Resources.
- How To Create A “Keep In Touch” Plan Without Defaulting To “Calling To Check In”.
- A Meeting Format That Opens Your Client (and all the stakeholders) Up To New Ideas.
February 22nd at 11:30 am EST and if you can’t make it I’ll send you the webinar replay.