How coachable are you as a sales rep?
Truth be told, I struggled with it during my early years in sales.
Quite frankly my ego didn’t allow it and that was a huge mistake.
So if you have a hard time with being “coached”, I’ve been there!
So HOW does an aspiring sales rock star become more coachable?
Let’s use an abbreviated version of my 3 step Accelerated Performance Framework to explore HOW!
Step One Mindset
Stop viewing coaching as someone picking on you or that somehow you suck because someone offers you coaching.
Your favorite sports teams have coaches.
Your favorite singers have vocal coaches.
I’ve been in the business world for 35 years and I have 2 coaches.
Replace that thinking with a mindset of being a humble student.
Replace that thinking with a mindset of doing something MOST of your competitors lack the balls to do.
And a HUGE part of the mindset is NOT pushing back and getting defensive when coaching is offered.
Lastly, allow yourself to be vulnerable enough to ask for help, but that’s covered in;
Step Two Information
Ask your boss to listen in on a call, ride along with you, review a recorded Webex.
Ask a coworker to review an email, put a second set of eyes on a proposal, review a recorded call or Webex etc.
Ask your clients why they buy from you and what you could do better.
When you lose a deal, ask “Why?”
Time Out! Remember that step one had to do with your mindset towards these “coaching moments”. With that in mind, if you push back, get defensive or sh*tty in any way, you not only shut down the coaching process;
You discourage the other party from being honest with you in the future.
Take your medicine!
Step Three ACTION
This step can be a challenge for many people because they’re used to CONSUMING information instead of ACTING on it!
Take the feedback you’ve been given and do something with it immediately!
Get the action steps on the calendar and treat it with the urgency of a client appointment. You wouldn’t break an appointment with a client, right? Give yourself the same respect!
Mark your path by putting this all in your journal.
Make note of what’s working and what isn’t and then;
Repeat the 3 steps you were just taught!
2019 can truly be your year if you’re willing to try new things and install new behaviors.
I hope this helps!
Castain’s 2019 Coaching Program
I am NOT your typical coach!
I work with my clients in a very different way than traditional coaches!
A traditional coach will ask you lots of questions, and lead you on a path of self-discovery – while providing you with very little of what experts refer to as “answers!”
By the time people reach out to me, they have lots of questions of their own and could sure use some answers. That’s why I created a very different coaching format.
Here’s what our time together would look like:
- We’ll start off with a quick update from you. I’ll want to know what you’ve been up to, what’s challenging you, opportunities you’re in front of etc so we can brainstorm.
- Next, we’re going to have some accountability by reviewing the action items from our last session.
- We’ll then dive right into either a sales lesson I’ve prepared for you or brainstorming a challenge or opportunity you’re facing.
- We’ll conclude the session with you telling me what you feel your action items should be. My job is to make sure you aren’t babying yourself while at the same time, aren’t working yourself into an early grave!
- Each session is approximately 45 minutes.
And YES, I coach sales leadership on everything from hiring sales rock stars, onboarding them, training them, coaching them, how to have killer sales team meetings, creating a performance culture etc!
- I’ll ask you to email me an update on your progress. You’ll receive feedback and additional email support. Our relationship will always extend beyond that time when the proverbial “meter is running.”
You’ll also receive occasional reinforcement emails, content etc from me.
What Makes Me Unique
For starters, I’m not one of these reps who sold for like 15 minutes and decided to get out and do something “safer,” I’ve been actively selling for 30+ years.
And I’m not someone who only cares about his paycheck turning the other way while you slack.
I recognize that no matter how great a training event might be, there needs to be a reinforcement component in order for training to ‘stick!’
In my program we work – and you’re going to sweat.
I take my job as your coach seriously and I insist you take your time with me seriously too.
Not ready to make that kind of commitment?
Then stop here and do some soul searching!
Ready to make that commitment?
Please read on!
When You Sign Up For Castain’s Coaching Program, You’ll Get:
- (12) 45-minute, one-on-one sessions via phone or Skype
- Email support during the 6-month program
- Reinforcement emails during the 6-month program
I’ve trained and coached over 20,000 sales reps, sales leaders and business owners!