Most sales reps consider the old “Send me your information” line as a stall or perhaps a substitute for “I’m really not interested”.
I know many of you will push back for various reasons.
Here are a few of them with my thoughts.
“Why should I go through the effort when I don’t even know they’re serious? If they can’t spend the time to talk with me, why should I spend the time sending the information?”
First of all, what time? Do you have to personally sit at the designer’s table to create something, then travel cross country to the nearest printing press? For the most part, we’re talking about placing something in an envelope with a handwritten note or sending something as an attachment. I know, poor you for having to do ALL that work!
“Why should I go through that when I don’t even know they’re serious?”
I feel a need to remind you that YOU CALLED THEM. That doesn’t mean that you have to pucker up and become one with both their Gluteus and Maximus, but I do believe it means that THEY have the right to wonder if you’re serious and if your company is legit. Perhaps the “send me some information” line gives them an opportunity to step back and assess YOU. I know, radical stuff here!
Maybe it’s a quick way of eliminating the people who never do what they say they’re going to do and or follow up. People (especially sales people) always do what they say they’re going to do, right? And in my most sarcastic tone possible; Nobody has trust issues when it comes to sales people, right?
This Blows My Mind . . .
Most sales people will either flat out refuse to send the information or conveniently forget and set a reminder to call back some time in the future.
Something You Need To Know About The Person You’re Calling
You’ve interrupted them while they were doing something else.
In doing that, we now have someone talking with us who was focused on another task. They are assessing us inside of 30 seconds maximum with a first tier assessment happening somewhere within the first 8-9 seconds. Unless they immediately see the value in spending additional time with you, they will default to a flat out “No” or some “auto eject” to get you off their phone as quickly as possible.
In some ways it’s a safety mechanism to allow them to step back so they don’t make a rash decision. In other ways they are simply protecting their most valuable commodity; their time!
So what’s an aspiring sales rock star to do?
1) Tape your end of your phone calls to get a good read on what you might be saying that’s causing objections and stalls. Sometimes we focus too much on cute comebacks that we fail to see that the objection/stall is actually a symptom of a much bigger challenge.
2) Use the landscape to your advantage. Think about what you can say and do other than flat out refusing to send information. Note: I go into great detail on HOW you can actually leverage this stall in our Prospect Like A Pro program. Have you enrolled yet? Click HERE to learn more. Enrollment is ending shortly!
3) Get Creative: If the answer is still “Send me some information” and you feel they are worth a few minutes of your time, go to YouTube and record a quick 1-2 minute video where you talk them through a few bulleted items. Call them by name, make it personal and lose all that corporate crap marketing tells you to include. Pretend you are sitting at the kitchen table with them having a cup of coffee and simply speak to them. You can mark the video as private so only the recipients of the link can see it.
Pop Quiz: How many of those videos do you think they’ve received. Gold star and smiley face on your paper if you said “Nada” (which is Spanish for zilch)
I’ll leave you with a silly thought . . .
Lot’s of people claim to be different and are quick to mention that they out service their competitors. I have a shocker for you . . . Everyone says that but;
Not too many people are willing to demonstrate that on the front end.
Just for the record . . .
We don’t have to like sending information but flat out refusing or “yessing” only to blow it off is a missed opportunity. Actually, it’s also dickish!
How Would You Rate Your Overall Phone Skills?
And when was the last time you did something to improve?
I have 100+ tactics waiting for you when you download our Prospect Like A Pro program.
Have you downloaded the course yet?
If not, here’s what you’ll discover once you enroll . . .
- How To Triple The Amount Of Referrals You’re Getting And Get More Warm Introductions
- How To Find Buyers Who Are 400% More Likely To Buy NOW
- 6 Places To Look For Business That You’re Missing Right Now
- How To Create A Communication Plan That Gets Your Prospect’s Attention
- How To Replace “Gatekeepers” With Willing Assistants
- How To Create A More Compelling/Objection Resistant Opening Statement
- How To Engage Your Prospect In A Conversation Instead Of A “Pitch”
- How To Handle Typical Objections To Get MORE Appointments
Enrollment is only open for a short period of time and then it will be closed until later this year/early 2017.
Click HERE to learn more and reserve your seat NOW!